Since the early 1970s, Sawyer County Housing Authority (SCHA), located in northwest Wisconsin, has had a mission of providing safe, affordable housing for families with low and moderate incomes. Their Rural Development program consists of two- and three-bedroom units in the towns of Hayward, Radisson, Winter and Exeland for families eligible for rental assistance. There is also a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program which provides rental assistance to qualifying families that rent through private landlords.
“We (SCHA) are all very excited about the project as well as our staff and board of commissioners who are eager to see the savings in electrical costs as well as the reduction in our carbon footprint.
– Sheila Young, Executive Director of SCHA
Legacy Solar Co-op partnered with Carlson Electric to install solar arrays on 6 separate buildings, including 52 families in the Hayward, WI area. Sites include:
- Radmore Village in Radisson (33.32kW)
- Winmore Village in Winter (29.24kW)
- Stone Lake Senior Housing in Stone Lake (10.88 kW)
- Exeland Senior Housing in Exeland (12.24 kW)
- Plainview Village in Exeland (21.08 kW)
- Vista Village in Hayward (46.24 kW)