Since the early 1970s, Sawyer County Housing Authority (SCHA), located in northwest Wisconsin, has had a mission of providing safe, affordable housing for families with low and moderate incomes. Their Rural Development program consists of two- and three-bedroom units in the towns of Hayward, Radisson, Winter and Exeland for families eligible for rental assistance. There is also a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program which provides rental assistance to qualifying families that rent through private landlords.
“We (SCHA) are all very excited about the project as well as our staff and board of commissioners who are eager to see the savings in electrical costs as well as the reduction in our carbon footprint.
– Sheila Young, Executive Director of SCHA
Legacy Solar Co-op partnered with Carlson Electric to install solar arrays on 6 separate buildings, including 52 families in the Hayward, WI area. Sites include:
- Radmore Village in Radisson (33.32kW)
- Winmore Village in Winter (29.24kW)
- Stone Lake Senior Housing in Stone Lake (10.88 kW)
- Exeland Senior Housing in Exeland (12.24 kW)
- Plainview Village in Exeland (21.08 kW)
- Vista Village in Hayward (46.24 kW)
The project will generate over 175,000 kilowatt-hours of clean and quiet solar energy and is expected to offset over 90% of SCHA’s energy needs. All sites were fitted with Tigo-brand optimizers that have been engineered for maximum solar production, only required to be spaced as needed. This assures an increase in energy harvest while reducing the cost of the project. Panels are The moment the panels went online, they started saving SCHA money, getting them closer to buying out the project after 6 years.
The project was made possible by a series of Solar for Good grants, totalling over $50,000, in addition to a tax financing plan proposed by Legacy Solar Co-op.
- A ribbon-cutting ceremony took place at the SCHA on August 2, 2019 to introduce the system to the community.
- For more information, see press release: Sawyer County Housing Authority Brings Renewable Energy to Rural Development Housing‘ (PR.com, 11/22/18)
Slice of Sun Solar Bonds
Legacy Solar Co-op sells Slice-of-Sun Solar Bonds to any member who would like to support a Solar Legacy project like this one, and earn up to 6% interest on their bonds purchased through the co-op. Ready to get involved?